free hit counter

Which former Gunner would you take back to Arsenal?

With Euro 2008 under way, the sports hacks aren't paying too much attention to domestic matters and as a result there have been some very peculiar stories over the past few days.

One in particular which caught the eye was a suggestion that Patrick Vieira might be on his way back to England to play a starring role for Portsmouth. Just what is is with south coast teams buying formerly great players?

Anyway, I digress. The speculation about Vieira's future led me to think if he could still do a job for Arsenal - maybe a one-year contract as a contender for the Mathieu Flamini vacancy, allowing Cesc Fabregas to continue his more attacking midfield role.

And that thought inevitably led me on to today's discussion for you lot: is there a former Gunner who you would like to see back at Arsenal for a year or two?

Arsene Wenger has spoken in the past about the club's unwritten rule that you never re-sign a player, but I reckon he'll want to break that habit at some point. But who should he do it for - Thierry Henry, Robert Pires, Lassana Diarra, Nicolas Anelka, Patrick Vieira?

Who would you bring back to Arsenal if you had the chance? Share your thoughts here.

Came straight to this page? Visit www.arsenalpies.tv for all the latest news.

Posted by Gordon Masson on June 12, 2008 10:32 AM in Debate of the Day| Transfers
| Comments (12) | digg.gif digg this | delicious.gifdel.icio.us this | stumble.gifStumble It!

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Which former Gunner would you take back to Arsenal?:

Comments

In my peronal and humble opinion the player we have missed most over the last 5 years is Robert Pires, he was a first class winger who scored more goals than many forwards in the same league, add to this his assists and you can safely say we have never replaced him. He also scored importan goals against the big sides, compare this to hleb who for all his pretty footwork couldn't his a barn door with an elephant when it came to shooting. Diarra was a whinger dhitto anelka, viera past it, henry too, how about David Bentley? For me though Pires

Posted by: charlie | June 12, 2008 12:10 PM

I would have to agree, I would love to still see Pires here...even though he is a bit long in the tooth. I still personally cannot forgive Henry...

Posted by: BoBandy | June 12, 2008 2:31 PM

I agree with the poster above, Pires.

And I know it is so soon, but Flamini too!

Posted by: Jack Webster | June 12, 2008 2:41 PM

Tony Adams!

Posted by: m | June 13, 2008 7:10 AM

It would have to be Thierry Henry for me, because no one wanted to try and score as much as he did. At times it seems like Arsenal wants to do everything but SHOOT at the goal. Give me Henry any day.

-Ed.
www.edthesportsfan.com

Posted by: Ed The Sports Fan | June 13, 2008 1:34 PM

Robert pires , the man was great in the midflieder and scoring goals even the hattrick against everton in the 7 win in 2006 no midflieder has done this in gunners

Posted by: imms | June 13, 2008 4:21 PM

NO NO NO NO NO there can only be one person and there always will be only one person that we should sign from and that is "the iceman" dennis bergkamp he is, was and always will be teh best there is. FACT.

Posted by: gooner1992 | June 13, 2008 7:15 PM

Given his great performance the other night for Holland, what about Gio van Bronckhorst?

Posted by: redrobbo | June 13, 2008 7:26 PM

Bergkamp/Pires would be a superb combo to have back in our team, though I think we could still benefit from the tenacity of Ljundberg

Posted by: Fra | June 14, 2008 3:48 PM

That one 'lob' Henry missed vs Holland sealed the deal for me. Arsenal Henry would have rounded the keeper and scored. Granted he had a nice goal later on, but I further believe he left at the right time.

Posted by: Ravine | June 16, 2008 2:40 AM

pires, pires, pires and pires

Posted by: timoh | June 18, 2008 10:25 AM