free hit counter
An unofficial blog from the creators of www.whoateallthepies.tv
Liverpool Pies

Who should Arsenal sign to replace Mathieu Flamini?

The news that all Arsenal fans were dreading - Mathieu Flamini's free transfer to AC Milan - was confirmed yesterday, leaving Arsene Wenger with his first headache of the summer: who can he find to fill the Flamster's defensive midfield role?

Personally speaking, I think he might try to do it from within his current squad, maybe promoting Denilson to the role, while using Gilberto as back up, if the veteran Brazilian remains at the club.

However, I believe that buying a replacement would be a good idea and unfortunately the departure of Matty to Italy now makes the sale of Lassana Diarra to Portsmouth back in January look very foolish indeed.

So without further ado, let us know what you think of Flamini's departure and who you think would be good to slot into his position alongside Cesc Fabregas in the heart of the Arsenal team?

Came straight to this page? Visit www.arsenalpies.tv for all the latest news.

Posted by Gordon Masson on May 6, 2008 10:30 AM in Debate of the Day| Players| Transfers
| Comments (17) | digg.gif digg this | delicious.gifdel.icio.us this | stumble.gifStumble It!

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Who should Arsenal sign to replace Mathieu Flamini?:

Comments

What more do we have to endure, the last 4 weeks of being an arsenal supporter has been nothing less than depressing, if hleb goes too then we really are in the brown stuff, not to mention the spanish big 2 are courting Fab again. Losing Fab would be the worst of all and I cant see my beloved Arsenal recovering for some time, there just arent the calibre of players out there to replace these guys with the pathetic amount of transfer funds being made available to Arsene. Sorry I digress, maybe song or diaby could do a good job in the middle, song is very strong and seems to have a good engine, the atributes gifted to flamini, diaby has more flare than either flamini or song and is also strong so he would be my first choice from within the club. I would prefer we did try and get in a world class midield hatchet man (for want of a better word) but we dont have the money and to be honest we never won anything with flamini and hleb so maybe its not all doom and gloom although now I am clutching at straws.

Posted by: Charlie | May 6, 2008 11:46 AM

Posted by: Charlie | May 6, 2008 11:48 AM

Posted by: Charlie | May 6, 2008 11:57 AM

Posted by: Charlie Spencer | May 6, 2008 11:59 AM

Posted by: Charlie | May 6, 2008 12:00 PM

Posted by: | May 6, 2008 12:01 PM

sorry for all entries, seemed to ta an age to updat and naturally thought post hadn't worked, many apologies.

Posted by: Charlie | May 6, 2008 12:03 PM

:( I believe that Arsene Wenger should bring in the real Gattuso to replace the nicknamed Gattuso. Otherwise, maybe Gareth Barry from aston villa could fill in his role

Posted by: Nathan | May 6, 2008 2:28 PM

i think gareth barry should go to arsenal, as he went to my school in hastings (william parker) and it would be really cool if he went to arsenal or maybe gattuso but i doubt wenger will sign him as he has a big wage demand and he is quite old

Posted by: Henry | May 6, 2008 5:31 PM

Its a big blow to lose the flasmster, and le boss should be given the funds to pick and choose whoever he wants in this vital midfield role. not having an effective midfield poleaxe pretty much guarantees we have a rough time of it, especially as teams muscle up to us and try to dictate the pace to slow the game down.

doubt it would happen, but mo diarra from real madrid would be perfect, another unlikely one (as he's getting on a bit) would be makelele from chelsea, havent seen him much this season, so dont know if he has lost his engine or not.

Posted by: sydney gooner | May 6, 2008 10:43 PM

wenger knows what he's doing. i doubt flamini would be able to consistently perform like he did this year. it was a bonus he was that good, he was talking about selling him last year anyway. i think valencia's hedwiges maduro should replace him. he should be at the championships with holland. also ben arfa/ julian jenner or krankjar to replace hleb would do nicely aswell.
arsenal for the double!

Posted by: Daniel | May 6, 2008 11:01 PM

As a replacement for the Flamster I thought of Yaya Toure (Barcelona), Engelaar (FC Twente), Van Bommel (Bayern Munchen) or Kallstrom (Lyon). As a replacement for Hleb I thought of Bradley from SC Heerenveen.

I agree with the first post(s); it's time to splash some serious cash this summer, and look for experienced players. Let's use the revenue created from the move to the Emirates Stadium; otherwise I wonder why Arsenal moved in the first place.

Posted by: mj | May 6, 2008 11:02 PM

Nigel De Jong from HSV would be an ideal replacement for Flamini. I've not seen a great deal of him, but from what i have seen, it's easy to compare him to Makelele. Fit, fast, a real kind ankle biter. But he's also got more skill, and scores the odd goal. He's a bit of a utility man as well and can be played anywhere in the back four really.

Posted by: SweetG | May 7, 2008 1:54 PM

Alex Song..Perfect!
Young, experienced enough, ready to learn, Defender/midfielder, Good passing, confident..WHo needs Flamini?

Posted by: Peter | May 10, 2008 9:47 AM

I think Arsenal as an English club should buy some english midfielder like Downing,Lennon or Beckham ;) because Arsenal has only one Englsih player(Walcott)

Posted by: John | May 15, 2008 3:13 PM

YAYA TOURE! YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!YAYA TOURE!
NOT GATUSO HES PAST IT! SONG WILL BE A DEFENDER NOT A MIDFIELD PLAYER. AND IF NOT YAYA TOURE THE GARETH BARRY I FEEL COULD DO A GREAT JOB BUT I DONT THINK HE WOULD COMPLIMENT CESC AS HES NOT DEFENSIVE ENOUGH, PLUS HE WOULD COST WAY TO MUCH ESPICALLY WITH LIVERPOOL WANTING HIM WHICH IS 99% CERTAIN HE WILL END UP

Posted by: ricky | May 16, 2008 12:51 PM

yaya toure or gareth barry because we need english players but toure's just a class act

Posted by: peter | May 16, 2008 2:14 PM